Thursday, February 6, 2014

Being Unique: How to Personalize Your Wedding Day

Let's face it, weddings are pretty traditional. Millions of weddings happen every year and they hit the usual roadmarks that all couples plan for their day. Some people even hate weddings because it is the same thing at every party.

Don't be that couple! Thanks to resources like Pinterest, The Knot, Wedding Wire, and other inspirational websites, you can find ways to personalize your wedding and make it memorable for yourself and your guests.

Make a Theme


For the ultra creative, you can choose an entire theme to base your wedding around. Right now, country chic and Jazz Age themes are very popular. These choices are beautiful when every detail is considered and a lot of fun to attend. You can base themes on locations, time periods, books, movies, music, and more. While more details need to be considered for a theme wedding, they are overall easier to plan because you have a roadmap of items you need to get.

Incorporate Interests or Hobbies


If a theme is not really your thing, try to at least incorporate some hobbies or interests that you and your fiance share. For example, if you both love to go camping or hunting, incorporate some wood motifs into your decor. You could have guests carve their initials into a fake tree or have a mini campfire as the centerpiece on tables.

My husband and I both love Star Wars, so we incorporated pieces of the movies into our wedding. Our cake toppers were Han Solo and Princess Leia figures we got from Comic Con. We were announced as husband and wife to the Cantina Band song and we had a Darth Vader element I'll cover at the end of the blog post.

Signature Drinks or Desserts


To add a touch of personality and more choices for your guests, consider offering a signature drink or dessert based on you and your fiance's personalities. At my wedding, I specially ordered alcohol. I had Pink Lemonade and Vodka for my signature drink and Crown and Coke for my husband's. You could also do two of your favorite desserts. To make it more fun, have guests vote on which is their favorite to see who "wins" at the end of the night - the bride or groom.

Reception Games


Some guests don't like dancing, so give them something else to do. Photobooths are starting to lose their newness at weddings, but they are a great way to entertain your guests. You could also have some fun games available, such as an I-Spy game. Consider switching out traditional reception activities, such as the dollar dance, with unique and fun spins on classics. The picture above is my husband and I playing the Shoe Game. It is like the Newlywed Game, but you answer questions about your relationship using the other person's shoe.


Another fun thing we did at our reception was have Darth Vader kidnap me instead of doing a traditional dollar dance. While I was kidnapped, my husband had to raise the "ransom" money to get me back. This was a HUGE hit at our wedding and my awesome DJ Nick Chavez persuaded me into doing it when I was worried no one would participate. 

When looking for fun things like this to do at your wedding and reception, start Googling. There are so many great wedding blogs that have tons of unique ideas submitted by brides across the country. Adding these little touches to your wedding will make it extremely memorable and way more fun. 

Today is the last day you can get my eBook "How to Create the Ultimate Wedding Planning Binder" for FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment